Post by florida70bee on Jun 29, 2015 20:58:37 GMT -5
I guess you can call me an open wheel modeling newbie and I am in the process of building my vintage AMT Parnelli Jones 1963 Indy roadster. Now I realize that most of you seen this car built a million times before but hopefully its got enough of my touches to keep the build interesting to you all. I have posted these pictures on other forums but it was suggested a couple of other members to bring the progress pictures here in case some of you have not seen them.
Anyway back to the build .
I am using the updated resin nosecone, resin tires, and vacu-formed windshield, and decals I got from Indycals. My work shows constructing the chassis, lots of body work (still not complete) and scratch-building the front of the Offenhouser engine to remove the awful molded in starter yoke and make the AMT kit engine more realistic. Attached in these next bunches of posts are progress pictures I have thus far.
Post by florida70bee on Jun 29, 2015 21:05:39 GMT -5
I used shrink tubing to replicate the rubber hose that connects aluminum intake to the injectors inlets. Then I added some old Detail Master photo-etched hose clamps to the rubber hoses. I then mocked the whole assembly in the car.
Post by florida70bee on Jun 29, 2015 21:07:07 GMT -5
More pictures building and detailing suspension parts, radiator, dashboard, interior, firewall, installation of the engine, oil lines, fuel lines and installation of the front suspension.
Got a tip from another builder of this kit that the right side offset is way too much in this kit. So I cut a 1/16 of an inch from the right side to make the offset more like the real car.
Next group of pics I tackled one of the most boring aspect of any build for me.. And that is the time consuming process of removing all the flash sink marks and nasty mold lines from all the small parts. Most of these parts were were chromed in the kit so I used the chrome as kind like a guide paint to show the mold lines and where to sand. Afterwards the part were dunked in straight chlorine bleach to remove any remaining plating. These parts are going to be repainted with Alclad chrome.
After sanding away the mold lines on some the suspension parts the tubing parts still did not look right so I decided to cut away the tubing portion of these parts and replaced them with Albion micro tubing
Post by florida70bee on Jun 29, 2015 21:08:36 GMT -5
Now I start detailing the dashboard (one of my favorite parts of any build). For this I'm going to use some Scale Hardware Stainless Steel 0.7 mm simulated Phillips head screws and some silver florist wire to simulate rivets for the gauges.
The micro Phillips head screws are installed..
Then I used some decals for the gauges and then covered them with 5 min epoxy to simulate lenses..I also created a magneto toggle switch with some florist wire a little glue and some paint.
Post by florida70bee on Jun 29, 2015 21:08:52 GMT -5
Next I modified the firewall by removing the ugly molded in details and added a master cylinder brake arm, an oil filter to accept some oil line fittings and a throttle return spring I made out of some wire.
Also added some Pro Tech photo-etched bolts.
Modified firewall compared to original kit firewall